Tooth loss can turn everyday activities like speaking, smiling, and eating into unexpected challenges. If you’re struggling with this issue, you’re not alone. Many have sought relief through dentures. According to the most recent census data, 41 million Americans use dentures to replace their missing teeth. At Aspire Dental Group, we understand the struggles you face and are here to guide you through a transformative journey towards a confident, functional smile. If you’re looking for a superior denture solution that combines stability and reliability, snap-on dentures may be right for you.
Understanding Traditional Dentures
When it comes to traditional dentures, there are two primary types: full dentures and partial dentures. The choice between them depends on the extent of your tooth loss.
- Full dentures: Sometimes called “complete dentures,” these are removable dental appliances designed to replace an entire set of upper or lower teeth (or both). They consist of an acrylic base that fits over the gums, with an artificial gumline securing the prosthetic teeth in place. Full dentures are custom-fitted to support your facial muscles but need to be adjusted as they age and as your facial structure changes. Their lifespan can range from 5 to 10 years.
- Partial dentures: Partial dentures are also custom-made and removable dental appliances. However, they are used when you still have some natural teeth remaining. Partial dentures consist of a metal or acrylic framework that attaches to your remaining natural teeth using clasps. This framework incorporates artificial teeth to fill the gaps in your smile. Some partial dentures, depending on the materials used, can last up to 15 years with diligent care.
The Limitations of Traditional Dentures
While traditional dentures have served as a reliable tooth replacement method, they come with notable drawbacks that can affect your daily life:
- Inability to imitate natural teeth: Prosthetic teeth made from acrylic lack the translucence and texture of real teeth. And, because the prosthetic is only supported by the gums and upper palate, they are not as strong as natural teeth. This limitation can force denture wearers to adjust their eating habits, often making it challenging to maintain a healthy diet.
- Fit changes over time: Missing tooth roots that are not replaced lead to continuous bone loss and gum recession. Combine this with frequent denture removal, and the result is ill-fitting dentures that shift uncomfortably. This can lead to mouth irritation, sores, speech difficulties, and even embarrassing denture mishaps.
- Regular adjustments needed: Due to the evolving fit of dentures over time, they require periodic reshaping through a process called denture relining.
- Susceptibility to damage or loss: Traditional dentures are removable, making them prone to being lost or broken.
Embracing Implant Dentures: The Mini Implant Solution
For those seeking alternatives to traditional dentures, Aspire Dental Group offers an innovative approach: snap-on dentures. This removable implant denture is anchored to your jawbone using innovative mini dental implants, providing you with greater stability and comfort.
Overdentures: The Flexibility of Snap-On Dentures
Implant overdentures, often referred to as “snap-on dentures,” closely resemble traditional full dentures but are stabilized by mini dental implants. The appliance snaps onto 4-8 mini implants instead of relying on the roof of your mouth or lower jawbone ridge for support. These anchors provide much better stability, ensuring your dentures remain securely in place.
However, you can also remove “snap-on” dentures at home for cleaning or comfort. If you already have dentures in good condition and with sufficient room, we can sometimes convert them to snap-on dentures. Another benefit is that the mini implant placement process is quick and brings immediate relief to those frustrated with the discomfort and instability of traditional dentures.
Roundhouse Bridges: A More Permanent Option
If you’re looking for a more stable solution, roundhouse bridges offer the security of additional implant attachments and increased durability. Both of these options use full arches of artificial teeth made from zirconia, a material ten times stronger than natural teeth. Roundhouse bridges offer longevity far beyond standard dentures. There are two options to consider: semi-removable and non-removable roundhouse bridges.
- Semi-removable roundhouse bridge (Fix-on-Six® bridge): Secured with 6-10 mini dental implants, this option is low-maintenance and only removed by Dr. Harvey or Dr. McNair during routine visits. It provides a secure, hassle-free fit and offers a natural-looking solution for tooth replacement. This option is an update to the All-On-4® system, which utilizes larger traditional dental implants.
- Non-removable roundhouse bridge: This permanent denture option is firmly cemented onto 10-12 mini implants, ensuring maximum support for eating, speaking, and smiling confidently. It operates just like natural teeth and offers the most stable, stress-free experience available.
The Benefits of Snap-On Dentures
Implant dentures, particularly snap-on dentures supported by mini dental implants, have many advantages over traditional denture options:
- Quick and easy: The implant placement procedure is swift and minimally invasive, often requiring just one appointment.
- Speedy recovery: The small size of mini implants and their streamlined placement technique contribute to a recovery process that usually takes about 24-48 hours.
- Comfort and stability: Snap-on dentures eliminate the frustration of slipping and sliding, providing superior comfort and stability.
- Long-lasting: Mini implants fuse with your jawbone, offering unparalleled support for your dentures. This durability ensures long-lasting results without the need for denture relining.
- Preservation of jawbone health: Unlike traditional dentures, implant dentures stimulate your jawbone, promoting its long-term health and maintaining your facial appearance.
Take the First Step Towards Snap-on Dentures
Losing permanent teeth can be a distressing experience, impacting your daily routines and self-confidence. Aspire Dental Group offers innovative denture solutions using mini dental implants to help you regain your smile and your life.
We understand that financial concerns can add stress to your dental decisions. That’s why we partner with multiple financing companies to make treatment affordable on any budget. Additionally, we are committed to helping you understand your insurance and financing options, simplifying what can be a complex process to ensure you feel confident in your denture investment.
Ready to embark on your journey towards a better smile? Don’t let tooth loss hinder your well-being. Schedule your free consultation at Aspire Dental Group today. Dr. Harvey, Dr. McNair, and our dedicated team are here to help you achieve the smile you deserve.